Back to developer page.
Our Git workflow (work in progress)
Outcome of the discussion in the Fast Downward meeting on 21 February:
- we want to use branches for issues as with Mercurial (TODO: is there a precise workflow we follow, e.g., from the slides Gabi showed us? Or the git project we looked at?)
- when integrating branches into master, we do not squash commits and we do not fast forward, i.e., we want to preserve the non-linear history of commits and always have a proper merge commit for the integration
- we delete branches (the pointer) after integration
- to identify commits on a branch, we prepend "issue999: " to all commits of the branch issue999
TODO: add infos on how to do something like git bisect with --first-parent etc. (Malte sent a few links)
TODO: github workflow: can we use their features, such as for merging pull request of extern collaborators, if that ever happens?
TODO: old suggestion for workflow, needs to be adapted according to above discussion:
- git branch issue999
- git checkout issue999
- git commit --allow-empty -m "start branch issue999"
- git commit -m "some changes"
git tag -a issue999-base -m "add tag issue999-base" <rev>
git tag -a issue999-v1 -m "add tag issue999-v1" <rev>
- git push --set-upstream origin issue999 --tags